6 September 2009
hobbies & projects. cars, watches, drones, code, whatever.
Mazdaspeed 3 Project
[Part of my Mazdaspeed 3 project series -- see cars]
A video of this car from AFKfest 2009 in Baltimore.
And a bit of background in the NY Times.
I have a 2008.5 Mazda MAZDASPEED 3 (affordable and speedy) with a growing list of modifications. A full custom Car PC/carputer setup, audio system, a bunch of appearance mods inside and out, and some engine mods next on the list.
This is a summary of what I've done to the thing in general, check sub-pages for details on the electronics and software stuff.
External Appearance Mods
- Mazda RX-8 rims, black-painted, custom plexiglass center caps
- Smoked side markers (custom)
- Smoked headlight reflectors (custom, required baking open the lights)
- Chrome-dipped front and rear signals
- Parking light delete (yellow lights are off unless signaling)
- 35% tint sides and back (including front sides)
- Debadged, remaining Ms black-painted
- Side molding delete
- AutoExe stubby antenna
- White license plate and side marker LEDs
- JDM rain guards
- Bosch frameless wipers
- Rear wiper removed and plugged
- SilverStar Ultra bulbs, low and high
- 4000K yellow fogs
- Black-painted calipers
- Partplaza eyelids
- Hella Supertone horns
- TWM short shifter
- TWM aluminum shifter bushings
- TWM aluminum shift knob (matte black)
- Full interior white LEDs
- Red Line Goods custom e-brake boot
- Red Line Goods custom shift boot
- Red Line Goods custom armrest cover
- Lots of cutting and fabrication for the CarPC and audio setup
- Mazda all-weather floor mats
Here's a shot of most of the interior:
Waiting for the warranty to lapse first, here's what's planned:
- Cobb short-ram intake
- Cobb turbo inlet
- Cobb AccessPort ECU flasher
- Some kind of coilover setup, not sure yet
- A full catback exhaust replacement
Computer and Audio System
There's a lot of stuff going on here, including an audio and carputer setup.
Take a look at my ELECTRONICS PAGE.
Interior, exterior, PC, and install pictures are all in MY FLICKR STREAM.
This kind of thing is easy once you find people to talk to about it with you. Specifically, many thanks to all of the good people over at:
Also, though it can get a bit spammy, its nice to be able to find other installs on CarDomain.